Blackburn’s 11 year stay in the Premier League was ended on Monday as Wigan snatched all three points to relegate Steve Kean’s men.

A late Antolin Alcaraz goal relegated a lacklustre Blackburn side whilst Wigan secured Premier League football for another season.

Rovers needed a win to keep their survival hopes alive but rarely threatened in a game which was dominated by the visitors.

Steve Kean altered his tactics and started with three up top in an attempt to take the game to Wigan. But with Yakubu, Hoilett and Modeste upfront Blackburn’s midfield failed to provide the three with any meaningful service.

The atmosphere was hostile with large sections of the Blackburn faithful venting their anger at Kean and owners Venky’s. With just five minutes on the clock play was interrupted as a chicken draped in a Rovers flag found its way onto the pitch much to the humour of everyone watching. Eventually the chicken was caught and the game continued.

Once play resumed it was Wigan who started to take a grasp of the game and striker Franco Di Santo had Wigan’s first meaningful effort on goal but his powerful strike was easily saved by Robinson in the Blackburn goal.

The former Rovers striker went close again just five minutes later. Jean Beausejour’s knock down allowed Di Santo to blaze over, when he should really have hit the target.

Blackburn were playing like a team destined for relegation, Scott Dann was caught in possession by Victor Moses and the Wigan winger drew another save from Robinson.

Wigan dominated and Blackburn were restricted to trying their look from range and Pedersen’s free kick summed up Blackburn’s woeful first half performance as his strike flew high and wide in to the Darwen end.

Before the break Victor Moses wasted another chance for the visitors as his free headed at the back post was straight at Robinson.

David Dunn was Blackburn’s biggest threat, but the local lad paid the price for his energetic performance as he was substituted due to injury just three minutes before half time.

After the interval Blackburn finally sparked in to life and Yakubu came close to opening the scoring. Scott Dann’s nod-down was acrobatically diverted towards goal by the Nigerian but Jean Beausejour cleared his lines and Wigan survived.

The home side then had a strong penalty appeal turned down. Junior Hoilett burst in to the Wigan box and seemed to be fouled by Emmerson Boyce. But referee Mark Clatternburg waved away the protests.

Blackburn’s Premier League status was slowly slipping away, and their fate was finally sealed in the 87th minute. Jean Beausejour’s corner was headed in by the unmarked Alcaraz and Blackburn were down.

Blackburn are a club in turmoil and the future looks bleak on and off the field.

Original article at http://www.brfcfans.com/blackburn-rovers-1-0-wigan/


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s